Search Engine Book - Chapter Eleven
Webmaster & SEO Analysis Tools
SEO and SEM CANNOT be done without tools. It just simply can't! There is too much information that needs to be extracted, analyzed, compared and then put into action. Fortunately, there are tools at your disposal that, not only do the heavy lifting, they remove most of the drudgery AND speed up the process immensely. In fact some of the tools can even make it fun!
Both Google and Bing provide Webmaster Tools that are technically free in exchange for access to your data, which they aggregate, and use to further their own agendas over the long term. That aside, we recommend you take advantage of them. You'll find they offer useful alerts and features that help diagnose and maintain your site's web presence. To access them you'll need an account with both Google and Bing. After signing up, they'll provide you with:
- Alerts for DNS Errors, Server Down, Viruses, Malware and more.
- Warnings if you're violating Webmaster Guidelines
- Inbound Link Data
- Click Through Keyword Data
- Sitemap Submission
- Microdata / Schema.org Markup Testing
- Numerous Useful Reports
- Author Stats
- Google Webmaster Tools (GWT) can share search traffic data with Google Analytics
We also recommend you utilize the various tools you'll find within our SEN Membership site. Depending on which level of membership you select, you can access the following:
- Site Strength Indicator — analyzes two sites side-by-side and calculates an overall site strength ranking score. It quickly compares your site to your competitor's site based on important ranking signals such as: PageRank, incoming links, and domain age. (Basic SEN Membership required)
- Link Prospector — Automates, streamlines, and simpl...