The best strategy for building location prominence within a specified local search service
The best strategy for building location prominence within a specified local search service area.
- Does it hurt a site to have multiple zip codes and names of areas served in the footer of each page in a local service business page? We have a competitor that does this and is outranking us in some areas. Any advice on how to approach this is appreciated.
A couple of years ago Placeable did a study that suggested using more than 6 or so locations on a page hurts rankings more than it helps. And, although we haven't seen any recent studies, you need to know that sticking location names on pages is somewhat trivial in regards to high rankings, especially when compared to some of the more effective strategies.
Instead, you should build up location prominence within your service areas. The following strategies are most effective in boosting your location prominence which, in turn, will help boost rankings:
- join local chambers and other business groups for towns and neighborhoods where you'd like to rank
- sponsor local activities in those areas
- get reviews from people that mention the location where the work was done
- get more good reviews
- get mentioned in local media
- earn spots on "top" or "best of" lists for those areas, etc.
Those are the types of activities that can bring you sustainable local traffic throughout your service areas....